Thursday, November 1, 2012

Post Full Moon


The full moon party was so good that the event requires some after-discussion.
The guy that I said was the craziest Irish guy of them all actually has a friend that is equally as crazy.
His name is Christian McGettigan, and he lives everyday of his life the way that every man dreams of living. The guy deep throats beer bottles. He parties non-stop around the clock. He has the best social skills of any person I have ever met.
I was lucky enough to spend an hour or two partying with him. Not on full moon night, but the night after. I couldn’t come close to keeping up, but it was just great watching him go.
He told me he’s famous, and I figured it was probably for something crazy he did that someone made a youtube video of. I was wrong. His family owns a butcher shop in Ireland called McGettigan Butchers that has won, as he tells me, a very competitive annual Irish sausage competition an incredible 6 times. The next best butcher shop has only won twice. This year they entered a Europe-wide competition and won. He tells me that German sausages are "shit" compared to the McGettigan sausages. This is a newspaper article on them http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0508/1224315744613.html.
I was trying to use someone's iphone to add Christian on facebook, but he was having trouble using it. I told him I don’t have a smart phone and so I couldn’t help him. He goes “you don’t have a smartphone? What do you have?”. I just said a regular phone. So I asked him if he has a smart phone. He goes “Oh no, I don’t have any phone atall”. Awesome.
Christian says that full moon party for him is really tame. “Like Monday morning back in Ireland”.
The full moon party was full of guys and girls as cool as this guy. Everywhere. It was a real Craics!
The October full moon party is the slowest one of the year. I’d estimate there were maybe 5,000 to 7,000 people. Other people claim they heard 15,000. The best one of the year is in December where the number hits 30,000. It would be really fun to do that one some day.
I was inspired by Kim Spikybombshell to start doing a quick review of places I stay or places I eat when I have a really good experience somewhere. I don’t think most of the people reading this will be too interested in them, but I thought it would be a nice thing to do as a way of saying thank you to the chance that it helps them gain a little bit of exposure.
The place I stayed in Koh Phangan is called Suncliff Resorts. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else. I paid 300 baht a night, which is about $10 and I had my own room and own bathroom. Pretty basic, but it had a mosquito net and the people there are happy to clean your room on request. Besides being the best value rooms, they have the best pool in town (has an unreal view) that is free to use, has fast free wifi, and the breakfast at the pool is extremely cheap and tasty. They serve brown toast and oatmeal which I love. Most people in the big dorm room hostels are paying around 300 baht a night.
You don’t really need to book ahead, because you need to show up at least 3 days before full moon for all the awesome pre-parties, and when I arrived 3 days ahead all the hostels were empty. That being said, I would email them if you’re coming for the huge December party. Rsvn.suncliff@hotmail or suncliff.resort@gmail.com. Prices will be higher for December and you’ll probably have to book for a minimum number of days.
Also, I ate lunch and dinner at the same little restaurant for my entire stay because Donald says it’s the best food in town and the prices are the cheapest. It’s always full of people and service is super speedy. The name of it is My Friend Restaurant.
Excited for Koh Tao!

No comments: