Sunday, October 28, 2012

Back to Thailand



Its been over a week since I’ve written a post, but I don’t have many new pictures to share with you due to my camera not functioning under water.

I spent a few lazy days diving and snorkeling on Pulauh Weh island in Indonesia, and then was lucky enough to squeeze in a day of surfing  before I flew back to the Airasia hub, Kuala Lumpur.

At the surf house I stayed at I met this really cool old Aussie surfer named Greg. The man’s been working and surfing in Asia for over 4 decades so he gave me some suggestions on how to best get to Ko Pha-Ngan, Thailand.

He recommended I take a train to a southern Thai town called Pattalhung. His words “It’s the best train ride you’ll take in Thailand. I guarantee you’ll be the only whoite facker on it.”


Sure enough, I was the “only whoite facker” on the train. The locals were very friendly and excited to learn about Canada. One kid said I was the first person he has ever spoken English to other than in his English classes at school.






I made a stop in the very non-touristed town of Pattalhung. When I got off the train I was pleasantly surprised to see a market selling some very delicious thai food.


I arrived on the island of Koh Pha-Ngan and am counting down the days until the full moon party (October 30). People party REALLY hard here, and the tourists are streaming in by the boatloads.

Today I just relaxed at the beach pictured above.

Traveling alone has mostly been fine so far, but it was a lonely feeling coming to a party town solo. My worry  of course is completely unfounded. It seems like more people travel solo than with groups of friends, so everyone is in the same boat as I am. Plus, I've found that travelers (especially here in Koh Pha-Ngan) are all out to meet new people and are super friendly. Needless to say I've already met lots of really great people!

It’s nice to be back in Thailand. I have about two weeks and then I’ll be flying to the Philippines to finish off the trip.

I keep hearing really good things about the (few) people I’ve met that have been to the Philippines. I can’t wait.

1 comment:

Connor said...

Hi Adam today we celebrated Ginny's birthday. Sounds like you are going to have loads of fun this Halloween. Our rink is starting to go up after we had to shovel the snow out of the way. Have fun on a warm beach -Connor